Friday, April 29, 2011

Chicken & Waffles with Rosemary Maple Gravy

I made this a couple weeks ago and it's a new favorite in our house! Plus, it's super easy! I got the gravy idea from Racheal Ray and the waffle recipe I got in an email from my dad. The waffle recipe is from a place in Salt Lake called Finn's Cafe, it recently won an award for "Best Breakfast" from a magazine there in S.L.C. The waffles were AMAZING! The kids ate them plain. I had one bite and called my sister gushing about how delicious they were!
WAFFLES
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon dried ginger
cooking spray
waffle toppings
Batter:
1. Combine 6 eggs and 1 cup of sugar. Whip until thick and frothy, about 4 minutes.
2. Blend in 1/4 cups of sour cream.
3. Add 1 cup flour and 1/8 teaspoon each of nutmeg, cardamom and dried ginger; fold in until thoroughly mixed.
4. Chill batter in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Cooking:
Preheat waffle iron and mist with cooking spray (Pam). Gently pour in batter. Cook until golden brown (2-4 minutes).
Traditionally served with sour cream and lingonberries, but also goes great with any of your favorite jams, syrups or butters!
Enjoy.
~~~~~~This was a little sweet for a savory waffle, which is what I made with the chicken and gravy. Next time I make them for a savory dish I will put in half the sugar it calls for. Also, I didn't have cardamom.

CHICKEN
I seasoned boneless skinless chicken tenders with salt and pepper and sauteed them in a pan with a little butter and olive oil.

GRAVY
Using the pan I cooked the chicken in, I added about 4 TBS of butter (this depends on how much oil you have left in the pan) and 2-3 TBS of flour to make a roue. Then I added chicken broth to make a thick gravy. I added 1-2 TBS of dried Rosemary (Tyler isn't crazy about Rosemary so I went easy on it) and about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of maple syrup - I just used the syrup I had in the cupboard, not real maple syrup. You can also use chicken gravy packets and add rosemary and maple syrup.

ASSEMBLY
I took one waffle square, put one chicken tender on waffle and folded it in half, just like a half sandwich. OR, make a full sandwich using two waffle squares and a full chicken breast or 2 tenders. Then dip in gravy.

2 comments:

  1. This site reminded me of your delicious blog! Same name, mormon mom with boys, yummy recipes . . . creepy!
    http://www.melskitchencafe.com/

    Thanks for your great ideas! I'm a total recipe leach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I just checked out that website and I am in love! She has wonderful recipe ideas and I love the tutorials! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete