Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bourbon Chicken

(My computer won't load pictures right now, so you'll just have to imagine delicious, saucy chicken over beautiful, fluffy rice!)
I love this recipe! I could drink the sauce, and it doesn't even have bourbon in it! (Just for the record I don't actually drink)This is a super fast meal and as long as my pantry is stocked, I usually have all the ingredients on hand. My amazing sister drove nearly 2 hours (I live 45 minutes out of town) to bring me Chinese take out at the beginning of my pregnancy when I wasn't feeling great. When she got out of her car, the bag tore open and the sweet and sour sauce spilled all over the ground. She felt awful. I love sweet and sour sauce but I love this even more so I decide just to whip this sauce together for a real quick fix and the dinner turned out great!
*This sauce is really easy to make but it also freezes really well so I will make a batch or two and freeze it for when I have my baby this summer.

Ingredients:
2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
4 TB oil for frying
cornstarch for dusting

Rice
Green onions or chives for garnish

Sauce:
1/2 c water
1/3 c soy sauce
1/4 c apple juice
1/3 c brown sugar
2 TB ketchup
1 TB apple cider vinegar (can be substituted for any vinegar)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp powder ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to make more or less spicy)
**We like a lot of sauce on our family, and whatever I don't use I put in the freezer so I double this sauce recipe.
***If you like a sticky, thicker sauce add 1 TB cornstarch.

Directions:
Dust chicken pieces with cornstarch. Heat oil in wok or big frying pan. Fry chicken in batches till lightly browned, a few minutes per side. Chicken does not have to be cooked through as you will cook it more in a bit. Remove and drain on paper towels. In a bowl combine all sauce ingredients. Pour into wok or pan and bring to boil. Add chicken back to pan, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve over rice. Garnish with chopped chives or green onion.

Don't forget your veggies! Give broccoli a quick steam and squeeze fresh lemon juice over OR steam or boil carrots and toss in ground ginger and honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment